15.1.18

Review: Cake at Midnight by Jessie L. Star


Synopsis/Cover Image from Publisher's Website
In this deliciously sweet foodie romance, a twenty-something pastry chef falls out of sync with her old childhood crush and falls into the arms of the quiet but charming boy next door.

Giovanna, Zoë, and Declan have always been a trio—their fierce friendship has seen them through every heartbreak and hardship and helped pave the way to brighter futures. Gio is a passionate baker of cakes, pastries, and all things delicious, Zoë a take-no-prisoners beauty, and Declan an ambitious businessman on the way up.

Best friends forever, Gio thinks—until Gio's lifelong crush on Declan is exposed, leaving her humiliated, and Gio realises she needs to cut him loose to get over him once and for all.

Enter Theo, Gio's neighbour...she's never met anyone like him before. He doesn't talk much, but he's kind, he's sexy, he's generous, and he's often awake in the middle of the night, like Gio. Theo has a sweet tooth and a mysterious history and Gio can't seem to stay away.

Thanks to the power of sleepless nights and chocolate cake, Gio thinks she's finally over Declan, but then his whole world turns upside down. Gio knows she can't desert Declan in his time of need, but how can she explain a lifetime of love to Theo?

Letting go of the past isn't so easy when your heart is breaking.
Review: 

Jessie L. Star's Cake at Midnight gave me all the feels! 

Going into this I was expecting to like it. I mean, it's a foodie romance, and seriously, what's not to like about that? However I ended up LOVING it. The romance, the characters, the writing, the CAKE....everything was top notch. Honestly, if Sarah Dessen wrote contemporary romance instead of YA I think it would look a lot like Cake at Midnight

Cake at Midnight introduces Gio, a young pastry chef with a bad case of unrequited love, and Theo, Gio's new neighbor. 

I loved Gio from the moment she was introduced. She's sweet, trusting, and vastly hopeful. I admired that she wouldn't give up on people, no matter how tough times got. I also adored Theo. When he was first introduced I didn't truly understand him. I wondered why he was so aloof and mysterious as well as so unwilling to ever fully smile. His need, though, to help Gio in tough times was adorable and sexy! I loved when he went all macho man. I won't say much about his family history and past because I think it's important to experience it first hand, but I will say Theo is just such an incredible guy. He's had a tough past but he always stays resilient and hardworking. 

I'll admit that I was worried that Gio's case of unrequited love would get on my nerves. Luckily it didn't. I could 100% could understand it, actually, because the type of unrequited love that Gio has (for a long-term friend who has been giving her mixed signals for years) is one I think most readers will find relatable. I know I did! It did frustrate me at times, though, that Gio wasn't always quick to call Declan out for leading her on and in the process treating her like dirt; however, she got better at it as the book went on it so I couldn't be too mad. 

Additionally, I loved the romance in Cake at Midnight. Gio and Theo's relationships is the epitome of slow-burn. The build-up was fantastic. There was hilarious yet awkward moments (the one where Gio hits her head off of Theo's door is my favorite!), late night hangouts involving cake, and some big and epic romantic gestures. I was swooning the whole way through! 

I could honestly go on about Cake at Midnight all day, but I'll cut it off here and leave you all with this. Jessie L. Star's Cake at Midnight is one of my favorite romances of the year (and possibly of all time!). So if you love romance (and cake and big oh-my-goodness revelations!) as much as I do, this NEEDS to be on your TBR! I promise you'll thank me later! 


5 stars!!

Cake at Midnight is now out!

Source: Publisher



Buy Links: 

Amazon | BN | Kobo | iBooks 

Author Links: 

5 comments:

  1. This sounds cute! I'm glad that Gio finally starts to call Declan out on how he treats her, and that she doesn't waste any more time on his mixed signals. Theo sounds like a good guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds so cute. Maybe I'll get around to reading it eventually. Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a really fun and cute read! I love when a character is so likable right off the bat! Slow burn romances are the best! I'll definitely be adding this one to my TBR list! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com